Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Heads up headaches.

Hi, my name is Bryan, and I have a short attention span. I am the posterchild for adult-onset Attention Deficit Disorder...but only when it comes to poker.

If I had to name the biggest leak in my game, it would be, by far, my tendency to get bored with a game and instead of waiting on solid opportunities to make money, I try to go out and make something happen.

Such was the case last night. I sat down at two mind-numbingly slow 9 player tables at AP (whose software is still dragging ass on my PC by the way), and after 30 minutes or so I could take no more. So I found myself checking out the heads up tables, and after 10 more minutes of absolutely nothing happening at the two 9-player tables, I ditched them both and sat down at a .25/.50 heads up table with $5.00.

That's precisely when the worst possible thing happened. Fun, fast-paced action - just the fix I needed. Not only that, but I started off winning like there was no tomorrow. My opponent at the table reloaded twice for $5.00 each time, and within 5 minutes, his money was mine. I played very aggressive, didn't waste money drawing dead, and forced my opponent to pay to draw out on me. After twenty minutes or so, I was up $12 bucks or so (the rake really takes it's toll at these heads up tables), and my opponent called it quits.

Feeling as though I was at the top of my game, I moved up limits a bit and sat down at a .50/1.00 heads up table with $10.00 vs. my opponents $40. That was my first mistake. $10.00 at a .50/1.00 heads-up table won't last long when your opponent has 4x your stack and is playing hyper-aggressive. I was fortunate though - I caught a couple of nice flops early, and made him pay. Pretty soon, I had tripled my stack ($30 now) and my opponent brought another $20 to the table, telling me, "You'll give it all back".

At this point, I should have stuck with my instincts. My mind was screaming at me to pick up my $30, hold my head up high, and call it a night. But the more devilish side of me just wanted to prove this poor bastard wrong - after all, I'd just cleaned up at one table, and had now tripled my stack at this second table. Who's to say I won't take this rest of this guy's money? The poker gods, apparently.

I took $10 more of this guys money (up to $40 now), and then things started going sour. I'd flop top pair, bet it like a maniac, and he would catch his 2nd underpair on the river. I'd be dealt JQs, flop a Queen, and he'd have pocket aces.

Long story short, I did end up "giving it all back", and then some. Another break-even night, with only my rake rebate to bring me out of the red.

2 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger Bmetz said...

While I appreciate you taking the time to drop by and pimp that website - it doesn't actually offer any rake rebates. Just one-off deposit bonuses (and pretty shoddy ones at that.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Its a common error to try and push things. The disciplined player can wait and be at peace with his hands. The undisciplined one will lose money chasing and "making" things happen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home